Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Week 9, Thing 23 - Is this the end?

23 Things has certainly opened new doors for me in terms of computer use. I basically used my computer to check e-mail, shop on line, google, just for ordinary things. After experiencing and learning with 23 things, I feel I will be using it for many more things. I also believe that we are all "new learners" when it comes to this new age of technology. Although there are some things that I probably will not use often (if at all), but just knowing what exist out there and seeing how we as humans are finding new ways of communicating with each other is fascinating and exciting.

My only concern is how do we make this new technology accessible to everyone. The library can only have so many computers available for the public's use. I was able to finish 23 things because I have a PC at home. There is a vast number of Americans who live at or below the poverty level who do not have access to a computer. Some schools in this country aren't equipped with a computer lab or the equipment is very outdated. If we want people to communicate and share ideas with one another, we have to find a way for everyone to have the opportunity to do so.


Twenty-three things is certainly a learning tool and it has the capability of being an educational tool as well. My only hope is that one day soon there will be more of us becoming "new learners" who probably would never have had the opportunity to do so before. Just imagine what an impact that would have on their view of the world.

No comments: