Friday, September 28, 2007

Week 4, Thing 9

Well it certainly has been interesting setting-up and learning how to create my own Bloglines newsreader account. I can't get over how many different ways of receiving information has been created. People are becoming connected who probably would have never had an opportunity to meet or share information with each other before. Its fascinating and at the same time a bit overwhelming, but I'm going to keep investigating and adding feeds that interest me as I go along. I'm not a tech savvy individual by any means, but I want to learn as much as I can. One thing that is really inspiring me is the fact that this is the way future generations will be gathering and sharing information with each other. Does this mean using phones to talk could become obsolete? Text messaging is very popular especially with today's youth. They spend a great deal of time communicating on "myspace", "facebook", etc., etc.

I searched for new RSS feeds using the "Discovery" feature that appeared on the left hand side, bottom of the page of "bloglines". It listed the most popular feeds and I just went down the list to see what interest me. I came across a few that were different, i.e., "news for nerds", "today top header for the motley fool" and "cooking for engineers". Just goes to show you that there is something out there for everybody. I added "Merlin" as one of my feeds because I liked the idea of hearing from other libraries in Maryland and their staff. It was cool to see Beth Tribe's picture on their site.

No comments: