Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Week 7, Thing 16

I think the concept of having a vehicle that enables anyone to add content to can be beneficial to the overall community. There are many individuals that will probably never have the opportunity to publish a book or an article and "wiki's" may be a way for them to do so. I especially liked the "wikis" that were not too technical, i.e., Princeton University's "Book Lovers" wiki and Merlin's wiki. The Princeton wiki looked organized but it was not too technical for anyone to go to the site and add their comments, etc. This site would be a good resource for an avid book reader to read others reviews of a book and to post their own.



I found a wiki called "wetpaint" at Merlin and really liked it. It helps you create your own "wiki website". I typed in Japanese dolls in the search box and found one site that was rated "100%" and clicked on it. I found info on "dolls" and also other subjects about Japanese culture and Japan. I kept clicking and kept going to different wikis all relating to Japan. It was fun. Not sure if I will post to a wiki but you'll never know!

Although I found "wikis" to be fun and beneficial, I also find it to be another tool that will be difficult to control whats written and who will have access to the website. I'm afraid it will be difficult to control or "police" either of the two.

No comments: